The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Yukon confirmed Ralph Bernard Shaw has been charged with two counts of first degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, and two counts of aggravated assault, in connection with Faro shootings which left two dead and one critically injured.
Chief Superintendent Scott Sheppard, Commanding Officer of Yukon RCMP, said one woman age 42 and one man, age 73, were killed in the shootings, while one man is being treated for critical injuries and is in stable condition.
“On Tuesday, October 26, 2021, at 1:02pm, police received the first call about shots fired in Faro, Yukon. Members of Faro RCMP attended to a residence on Harper Street where a critically injured male was found inside. The subject had already left when police arrived. The responding officers called in support from back-up police and provided initial first aid to this victim,” Sheppard said.
Sheppard further added that the Faro RCMP members then attended another residence on Harper Street and located a 42 year old woman unresponsive. “Community member and police made attempts at resuscitation and provided first aid but the woman was confirmed deceased.”
“As public safety was the top priority, the officers attended the local school to assist staff in putting the school into a state of hold-and-secure, to prevent a threat to students, teachers, and staff,” he said, adding that soon after, as back-up officers were arriving in Faro, police received further calls of shots fired in the area of Yates Crescent and Tintina Subdivision in Faro.
According to Sheppard, the officers attended the area, confronted the subject, and he was safely taken into custody at 1:56 pm. There were no injuries to the subject or to responding officers.
He also added that RCMP officers from Faro RCMP and Ross River RCMP, the M division Major Crimes Unit, along with assistance from the M Division Forensic Identification Section and all other Yukon RCMP resources are investigating.